Monday 5 March 2012

Sunny.

What a difference a couple of days and a bit of sunshine makes...

One little anemone blanda surprises me, I'd forgotten I'd planted it in one of the pots lurking at the back door.

A ladybird comes out of hibernation.

Skeletal holly leaf with dramatic shadows.

Soft new buddleia leaves. I'll be pruning the buddleias soon. I love pruning - instant tidy effects, though I'm not so keen about clearing up the cuttings.

Stripey crocuses (and welly boots)

Honeysuckle.

Daffodil - to have these flowering in the garden is one of my eagerly awaited signs of Spring.

Now we're peeking up through the hydrangea at the houses across the road, two jackdaws are perched on chimneys.

Here another jackdaw flies into shot. Lovely little puffs of cloud.

Continuing with the sky theme, we've had a few nice ones recently...

This last one was from a couple of days ago, it's late afternoon, the sun is shrouded in cloud and the heavens are just about to open. It doesn't qualify for the Sky365 group though as it includes trees and buildings, the other photos do - it seems I'm rather enjoying taking photos of the sky.

We finally harvest the purple sprouting broccoli and have it with melted butter and lemon juice (and lasagne and salad). We're hoping the veggie garden will be better this year, 2011 was overly cold and wet and wasn't a great success.

This morning, with all the clear skies around, we had a light frost.

Now inside...
...and the balls of wool on top of the bookcase catch my attention...

...they're each matched to a flower for the blanket. I hope to add these later tonight...

21 comments:

flowersandhome said...

The Anemones are still closed here.
The Narcissus in the garden are flooded since it rained non stop for more than two days now. Luckily just the garden got flooded, the houses in other streets in town weren't that lucky.
Loooove the flowers you crocheted!
Bye,
Marian

periwinkle said...

We had snow yesterday but it didn't lie, today bright blue skies but very very cold.. the last sky photo is my favourite

June said...

Love the photo of the darkened sky and your cat print on the wall!
June

Rosangela said...

Tudo muito lindo.
Venha me seguir...
Ă“tima semana...beijo.

Julie said...

Love the holly leaf.
Pruning is one of my favourite things too, don't mind tidying the cuttings up too much either, it is so satisfying to have a good old hack away at things and see the difference it makes. Juliex

rockinloubylou said...

Amazing difference after a couple of bright days. I love the holly leaf with spiky shadows and the night sky. Maybe I'm a winter person - or just an old grump?

rockinloubylou said...

Amazing difference after a couple of bright days. I love the holly leaf with spiky shadows and the night sky. Maybe I'm a winter person - or just an old grump?

Simone said...

A lovely post. I really like the photo of the jackdaw just flying into shot. Enjoy your crochet this evening! x

Claire said...

Hey Anne, I'm with you on picking up the garden prunnings. I left a pile in the garden yesterday that's first job on the list today for a certain someone, hehe........

Some more fabulous photos, great shot of the jackdaw in flight and I love, love, love the chimneys.
Those black and white shots you've been taking recently are stunning, I can get just get lost in them.

I love skeleonised leaves, they are such delicate treasures........

Enjoy your week,

Claire :}

Chaos, Kids, Crochet and Cake said...

I'll not show this blog post to my parents, they are currently here experiencing the very best of la nina! I'm sure they've never seen such rain! As mum says "Everything about Australia says humans should not live here!" We're lucky to be in the 28% of NSW that hasn't flooded and the sun is shining today - for now...
The light in your photos is just beautiful and I adore your choice of woolly colours!
Sandra x

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely images. The Anemone is a stunning colour.

Lyn said...

lovely photos and I am enjoying your sky photos too!
Love the holly leaf and Daffs are my favourite flowers!
xxx

Annie said...

What a packed-full post, all those thrusting plants, and that yarny goodness too, gorgeous :D

Mrs. Micawber said...

The balls of wool were the first thing to catch my eye in that photo! (Thanks for showing us what was on top of them, because I was wondering.)

The anemone looks almost exactly like my osteospermum (African daisy) which is flowering inside right now.

You're a good month or two ahead of us, garden-wise. Beautiful sky photos! I'm enjoying that project too (although it's very hard for me to leave the trees out).

If you leave the garden prunings, they'll eventually turn into compost - that would be a good thing, right?

sue said...

Your photos are gorgeous as usual. I've just completely cut my buddleia down, not because I don't want it but because it was just getting too huge! never fear it's got loads of shoots at the bottom so before long it will be back to it's full glory. I love your sky photos, I love photographing the sky an ever changing canvas, lovely.

VintageVicki said...

My daffs haven't burst into flower yet - something to do with the 48 hour downpour we had here!!!

Thank goodness today is dry!

millefeuilles said...

Beautiful pictures. I am determined this year more than ever to savour these first unfurling days of spring. Once the snowdrops have given way to the crocuses and the crocuses to the daffodils the glorioius spring symphony moves on so very, very fast.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

...having a bit of broccoli envy! Miss my veg patch and garden but have really enjoyed the great photos of yours :-) Kx

Mereknits said...

Beautiful pictures as always, such a delight to see. I love the bookcase photo with the dinosaur on the shelf. We had so many of those when my boys were young.
Have a great day,
Meredith

greenthumb said...

Hi, a lot has been going on in your world. What a lovely blog you have.

* said...

I've seen quite a few ladybirds in the last couple of days a number were curled up in the top of the garden canes....do they really hibernate....hhhmmmmm..I didn't realise.

Love the wool colours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails