Friday 19 February 2010

On The Kindness Of Strangers and A Crochet Cushion Cover TaDa.

When a package with one of these labels on it arrives you know there's going to be something special inside. This package though was extra-special as I hadn't actually ordered anything from The Linen Cat...

...Inside were not one, but two beautiful turquoise birds. I'd merely commented on Beth's blog (a couple of time I admit) as to how much I liked the look of her new turquoise birds, and she sent me two, just out of the kindess of her heart.

They're lovely, I know it's an overused word, but in this case I can't think of a better one. It was lovely of Beth too to send me them. Blogging has opened my eyes not only to the talent and creativeness of people I've never met but also to their kindness, this little package certainly made me very happy.

I've hung them on the mantlepiece, they're perfect there.

While in the living room I took some photos of my finally finished round crochet cushion cover...
Here are the two sides before being joined together. I introduced three extra colours in the second side (on the left) and this is the side I now prefer though it's good to have a choice!

Talking of choices, I need to decide where to put it...
On the armchair...

...the green sofa...

...or the purple sofa...

...the purple sofa it is! (Yes, it's not actually purple, the throws hide fading red upholstery which I have fallen out of love with, at some point I'll look into getting fitted covers made for it and the armchair (also a faded red with gold roses - lovely!)). N doesn't like the cushion there though, it's in the way of him reaching his toys on the bookcase so he flings it off onto the floor. No appreciation of the hours of crocheting it took me to make it! The pattern is based on the flat circle used by Lucy @ Attic 24 for her crochet bird. I just kept going and made the circle 16" in diameter (only increasing every second row after about the tenth row so that it would start to curl up round the cushion pad) and bought an 18" feather pad on ebay to fill it.

On the mantlepice: the ends.

Sparrows were twittering away on the bush outside the window while I was busy in the living room photographing my sofas. You've no idea the amount of tidying up that went on before taking even these carefully edited pictures! Sparrows have better things to do.

Well, that was yesterday. This morning we had a little fall of very fine snow, it was just like icing sugar being dusted from the sky. Earlier in the week I did manage to start tidying the garden and uncovered my dragonflies which had been hidden behind dead brown foliage, now they're out on display again and this one looked particularly pretty with the snow dust.

It's the afternoon now and the sun has made it through the mist and melted all the frost. Sunny days are here again!

10 comments:

Yiota said...

I like it on the purple sofa, too. I'm in the middle of a Lucy-inspired crochet project myself.
Isn't it great when you get mail out of the blue? and what beautiful pressies you got!
Are you going on a bike ride tomorrow? Hope you are!
xxx

Unknown said...

What a awesome way to end the week with a colorfully, charming TA-DA. Love the close up of the ribbons too. And the shot of the pinwheel is a perfect layout. Love the shadow it displayed with the sun on your wood floors.

Have a great weekend -
Spring is coming
Kate - The Garden Bell -<3 <3 <3

Knot Garden said...

What a beautiful room,I love it all. The purple sofa, the bookshelves, the bay window! Reminds me of the house I used to live in. Wonderful cushion too.

silverpebble said...

Your crochet is gorgeous and I love the frost on that dragonfly. What sweet birds too - such kindness!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

You really are welcome, thanks for the thanks on your blog!

Lovely photos, as always. I prefer the 'new side' of the crochet cushion as well, but only fractionally as they both look great and match your room so well.

Bx

Attic24 said...

oh I LOVE your room, it looks so warm and cosy and beautiful.....Ive been meaning to make myself another round cushion too, I love the way the colours radiate out...yours looks fabulous, esp with the slightly dark/richer colours thrown in.....lovely to visit with you :o)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Helsie said...

Love the cushion too but i love it best on the chair. Couldn't bear to have it thrown on the floor all the time.
Cheers
Helen

rockinloubylou said...

Beautiful cushion. it looks like many hours of work went into it and the colours you've chosen look so good in your room. How lovely to get those beautiful birds in a surprise parcel. They look very at home on your fireplace. It is Saturday today and I am looking forward to reading all about your bike ride. Vicarious exercise!

Jennyff said...

The colours in your room are great and the cushion looks perfect. Bloggers are indeed brilliant at random acts of kindness, even comments are little gifts that lift our spirits. Happy days.

yarnyokel said...

I just love your round pillow. That just inspired me to create one for myself. I will select a solid color on one side maybe. Now the choices will be endless. I will have the same issue. Where to put it when it is complete????? :)
Thanks for the idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails