Wednesday 13 January 2010

More Fattie Cutties (with recipe) YUM!

We stay quite close to the airport and today we had a flying visit from my parents as they dropped in on their way to Lanzarote.

It was a good excuse to make some more Fattie Cutties as I knew they were a delicacy my Dad would appreciate.


Here's the recipe (summarised from Sue Lawrence's "On Baking" which I think is an excellent book. It contains lots of recipes from various parts of the UK each preceded by a couple of paragraphs with interesting information about the origins of the recipes. The book was first published in 1996 so predates the more trendy books now on offer but definitely deserves it's space on my baking bookshelf.)

170g 6oz plain flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
85g 3oz caster sugar
85g 3oz currants
85g 3oz melted butter
approx 1 tbsp milk

Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and currants in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted butter and just enough milk to combine to a stiff dough. Knead lightly and divide into 2 balls. Flatten each half into a round about 5mm thick and cut into 4 wedges.

Preheat the girdle/griddle to medium hot, grease lightly then cook the fattie cutties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Again, they were delicious - how could they not be with all that butter and sugar!

I did also make the wholemeal almond honey cake from River Cottage Everyday...

It was also tasty, though given the choice I would take the fattie cutties.

My Mum always brings some goodies with her...

... a few back copies of Country Life, de rigeur reading for Blogland it would appear...

... and some extra edible treats, mmmm.

Hope you're having a tasty day!

4 comments:

Marie said...

That sounds like a lovely day......and delicious cakes! I love your cushion cover, the colours work beautifully together.

Unknown said...

Yum... wish I had dropped into to... So sweet of you to do this for the Ps....

...Nina Nixon... said...

'Ooohhhh' I love the fatties and egg free too such a bonus for the littlest boo.

Jude said...

Thanks for that...been to see the tablet recipe too, yum!
I've added you to my bloglist.
Take care

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails