Friday 26 August 2011

Japanese Crocheted Crescent Moon Shawl

This was the first shawl pattern I ever wanted to make. I first spotted it on Ravelry over a year ago, however you had to buy a book to get the pattern, and not only was the book only available in Japanese, it never seemed to be in stock whenever I checked.

In the meantime I crocheted a few other shawls and scarves and got better at following designs. Then one day I was browsing Pomadour24's Etsy shop and found the book in stock. I decided to go for it, and while I was at it I bought some Noro wool too. In for a penny, in for a pound...

Still I took my time before starting. I'd never followed just a chart before so found this site to be extremely helpful in deciphering Japanese crochet symbols. I also checked Ravelry for other people's notes and found these forum posts useful too.

At this stage all the rows are complete with just the edging to do. Up to this point I really enjoyed making the shawl. I have to confess to finding the edging a little fiddly and time consuming, but I persevered...

...the crocheting is finished! However, the shawl needs blocked as the little clover edging motifs are all curly. It looks nice on the chair (better than it does on me!)

Another photo of it before blocking (just incase the blocking went horribly wrong!). I hand washed the shawl then gently squeezed it dry and pinned it on some foam play blocks to dry in the sun.

Anyone else see a chicken here?

Hoping it doesn't rain...

Uh oh.

It does rain! Fortunately I spot it straight away and manage to everything in in one piece before it all gets wet. I dig out the hairdryer to quickly finish the drying process before the children become too interested.

A late night shot on a hanger, the clover edging is hanging much better now.

I omitted the picot row as this was all the wool that was left.

Today I took some more photos of it in the garden.

And the final verdict? Well, I actually think I liked it best at the stage it was at before adding the clover edging (though I'm not removing it now!). I'll know better once it's cold enough to wear it though, so we'll see...


27 comments:

driftwood said...

oh my, it's gorgeous, love it.

Grateful4Crochet said...

This is just stunningly beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Well worth all the effort!!!
Amazing work!

aromatic said...

That is just so stunning...
I am just starting to learn to crochet but could never imagine becoming as talented as you are. Jane x

Lyn said...

gosh your braver than me to tackle a crocet pattern in Japanese! The results are stunning though, well done!
xxx

Mrs. Micawber said...

Gosh, I love charted patterns. I'll take them over text any day. :)

The shawl is stunningly beautiful. I think you'll like the clovers when you wear it - and think how lovely and charming it will look swathed around your neck with those whimsical little leaves dancing about.

Mrs. Micawber said...

Just realized the commenter before me prefaced her remark with "gosh" as well. Must be in the air.

Jude said...

I'm liking it alot...if only I had the courage to try and follow the pattern!!!
Well done you
Take care
Jude

Claire said...

Well done, sometimes you've just got to jump in and got for it and what a wonderful result, you must be thrilled.

Love the yarn, colours, shawl, just beautiful.

Had to giggle when I saw the foam play blocks but whatever does the job, eh? Yes, definitely a chicken there.

Love the pic of the shawl under the window sill flower boxes, very pretty.

Enjoy wearing it when the weather cools.

Claire :}

Pradeepa said...

Wow, this looks gorgeous.

Rattling On said...

It's beautiful, love the colours you chose. You can't have too many shawls/scarves/wraps... they are so good as projects!

Julie said...

It is lovely, I really like the colour mix you have gone for. I don't ever wear shawls but this has me thinking I maybe need to reconsider! Juliex

Anonymous said...

That's a favourite shawl for me too. I was sad when I realised I would have to buy another Japanese book to make it as with postage it costs about £20! I have one already and although a really pretty book, there is not that much I want to make. I have made one item though. I have also found with the Japanese symbols that despite researching a lot there are some symbols that just can't be found. In the more complex ones too, you definitely need to know what the writing says as well. I am prepared to do some guess work - just not all of it! My favourite patterns are always Japanese so it makes me cross!

I absolutely love your shawl!! Noro is always a thing of beauty. I definitely love the clover edging - it is what makes the shawl for me. Your blocking looks great - I'm going to have to find away (I've just got no floor space!) Very beautiful, would love to see it worn. You should be very happy with it!

Mac n' Janet said...

It's gorgeous! i just started crocheting after years of not, so for now it's simple things. But I love your shawl.

rockinloubylou said...

What a success! I really admire your tenacity in deciphering the japanese crochet book. And now you have a suitable reward for all your hard work!

evaowl said...

Beautiful piece of work. You'll enjoy your shawl for years to come, because the wool will become softer and softer after washing. Your work is very inspring. bravissima : )

Annaboo's House said...

Wowsers!
This looks beautiful.
I was sooooo lucky to find a major stash of Noro at. At charity shop, so am looking for inspiration to do it justice- this is just amazing.
Xx

Clicky Needles said...

I think the border finishes it nicely.

Super.

BarbieCat said...

OMG... I have 2 skeins Noro silk blend sock yarn... and ordered the book too, before catching your blog entry.

Mine will be a different color combo, lest we ever bump into each other. Personally, I love the fiddly fringe, or at least I do in theory.

I'm toying with using a mild weather bamboo yarn from my stash as well. But while it's yummy and drapey, I wonder if it has enough body to show off the crescent shape. I used it in a summer Queen Annes lace neck piece... I love how soft it feels but it wants to stretch and fold in on itself.

monica said...

ciaooo mi aiutate a comprare quel libro per favore!!!
grazie
monikabacci@gmail.com

Marina Albertoni said...

Lindo seu xale,

Também fiz um e ainda um Japanese Flower Scarf.

Seu blog também e muito bonito, já me tornei seguidora. Sou brasileira e amo crochê e trico.

Abraco

artfromthewood said...

Love this!!!!

RoseAnne said...

I never tire of this pattern. I have used sock yarn and worsted. But your post, even after all these years, has inspired me. I found some Noro at the yarn shop and I'm ready to make another!

Rrooxxzz said...

Its so beautiful!I want to make one too

Fiordelisa said...

Did I miss it? You never did say which Noro yarn you used, did you? It would be so helpful to know as I'm not very familiar with their yarn, yet... thank you. Just beautiful work...

Fiordelisa said...

(Oh, never mind. I see it quite clearly now. I was tired last night. :-)

Am Printex said...

Nice Pashmina Shawl blog and i will share to my friends. Also i suggest Woolen Shawl.

Am Printex said...

Nice Woolen Shawl blog and i will share to my friends.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails