Sunday 10 May 2015

Monday Morning Bike Ride.

These photos are from a bike ride I took on the bank holiday Monday last week. Some are from the route I drive to work. Every day of the previous week I'd been aware of how lovely the countryside has been looking but from the car you only get fleeting images and I wanted to get out on my bike and see what it was really looking like. The weather had been great all week but it wasn't quite so nice on the Monday - lots of scudding clouds made the light change dramatically and very quickly.

The gorse has been in full bloom and on the bike you also get to appreciate the gorgeous coconut scent when nearby. I saw lots of lambs and some cows and horses too. The views across the firth were a little hazy for my liking: a few days earlier and I would have been able to catch crisp and clear views of the mountains with Ben Lomond completely covered in snow, however, I'll settle for what I got, it's better than it often is!



 
The house does seem to sink a little towards the road. I notice it now when I drive past it each day.



A favourite corner from my drive to work.





Interesting tree.

Now we're about to pass through the Formakin Estate. I've been this way before on the bike but not for a long while. Here's a link to a really old post with some more information. 








After this point I turn away from my commuting route and enjoy some scenes of the Clyde and the hills beyond.
















Ugh, I don't like the hill that's round this corner. It's short but it's right at the end of a ride when legs are tired.

I took my new camera along for the ride. Well, I don't think the photos are as crisp as the ones I used to get with my old camera. I'm actually looking out for a cheap version of my old camera on ebay as I liked it so much. I thought a new camera would be an upgrade, but I think I seem to have been very lucky to happen on a very good model the first time round.

And, we've had an election. I thought it worth posting some images of the results just because they have been so dramatic, partucularly in Scotland. I certainly didn't expect to wake up to this result on Friday...

Scotland in detail

And the contrast with the rest of the UK is rather stark:


What will the future hold, I wonder...

10 comments:

Linda said...

The dark skies and scudding clouds make for good photos. Looks as if you have a beautiful commute.

I love the curved slate roofs on the gatehouse - they look like hobbit houses. Just goes to show that we had hobbits here in Scotland before Tolkein thought of them.

And talking of Scotland - those election results :( It's the first election where I've voted tactically to try to keep a party out, but since my bit of the map is coloured yellow now it didn't work.
Anyway, politics isn't everything - off to the allotment now and happier vegetable-y thoughts.

Mereknits said...

I always wonder about elections it seems if the result was not what you wanted that the world would end, yet it goes on whether it is good or bad. Love the photos today, I so wish I could see sheep on my way to work. I see concrete and buildings, I do go over a bridge and that is lovely.
Hugs,
Meredith

Julie said...

Looks like you have a lovely commute to work - must have been good to get out and explore in on your bike. Isn't the gorse glorious just now? Juliex

Amy at love made my home said...

I am sure that I have said it before, but you do go on such great walks and rides and always with such great things to see! Shame about your camera, the pictures look good to me, but I know what you mean. I especially like the second photo, very atmospheric indeed! xx

Lyn said...

stunning photos as usual, I love going for a bike ride with you....don't know what you mean, my legs don't hurt at all! xxx

blueskyscotland said...

Lovely area that for cycling. Regarding the cottage I sometimes have trouble judging if photos are straight. If it doesn't look right I'll tilt the photo a little as a house or hillside looks out of plumb only to find the street lights are squinty and you would think they would be spot on. God should have used a spirit level on the landscape but he seems to have left it at home some days :o)

Valkrye said...

Simply stunningly, breathtakingly beautiful~ captured so beautifully the landscape and the more elusive element, atmosphere of place~ Thank you for sharing your magical bike ride through such an evocative landscape. How fortunate you are to have access to so much beauty .

* said...

Great bike ride, I can see why you wanted to see all the views from the bike....beautiful!

I always think that gorse smells like custard creams, when we were out walking the coast path on bank holiday Monday, the gorse was glorious along the cliffs....

Anonymous said...

We arrived in Argyll on Friday evening and Saturday was gorgeous weather; it has changed since then but I am enjoying all immensely. When I saw the first shot of Gorse, I could smell it as I have been inhaling great lungsful of it as often as possible.

Lovely post, thank you.

Mrs. Micawber said...

Ooh, photo 2 is fantastic!

The gorse is breathtaking, and I really like the sheep photos. Ben Lomond looks very majestic across the water.

Interesting to compare the election results. I think someone should design an election afghan using those colours.... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails