Friday 6 April 2012

Day Tripping

On Wednesday we visited the National Museum of Rural Life. It was the first time we'd been and I was surprised at just how much there was to see. We got a free adult ticket by downloading a voucher from this website, but we have since (last night online!) joined the NTS whose members get in free.

The red tractor in the car park.

Waiting near old machinery for the tractor & bogey to take us up to the farm.

Due to the cold weather the cows are still in the barn and not yet out in the fields. It means we can get up close for a pet.

Having a shot at milking.

Lovely old farm buildings.

Calves.

I love the ball detail on the gables.

Through the bothy window.

On top of the bed in the bothy is the friendly black cat who kept following us around the outbuildings and farm yard.

In the cosy kitchen of the farm house. This was a bonus for me as I hadn't realised we could get inside the house. All has been left as it would be in the 1950's and you can visit all the rooms except the attic, I do love a look round other people's homes! The guide was a chatty old man who was very informative.

A different view of the ball topped gable.

Pretty gate.

Scaring the crows.

Terracotta rhubarb forcers and a little view of the front of the house.

Tree silhouette.

We then walked back down to the museum.

I was rather taken with the artwork in the special exhibition area, currently all to do with garden wildlife. The children enjoyed this section too as there were lots of activities for them.

The museum itself was much bigger than I expected and as well as the tractors (lots of, N loved them!), there were many other interesting artifacts from all areas of ordinary country life.

I didn't take many photos inside the museum, but the Angus Dairies milk bottle on the right caught my eye - these were the ones we had when I was a youngster.

I also tried to take a photo of the spinning wheel as it's wool related, and we all love wool!

All in all a great trip.

12 comments:

rockinloubylou said...

fantastic. I'd been a few times for the coffee shop (pre children) but only once with Little R, despite loving it and resolving to return. This post makes me want to go back there really soon. That little cat followed us too and was so patient and gentle.

Rosangela said...

Morei muitos anos em fazenda. Adoro dirigir trator.
Lindas fotos.
Beijo.

Diane said...

I love places like that - so hands on. xx

Simone said...

A wonderful day out but I bet you would really like to have seen in the attic! I know I would!!!

Habbie tot said...

I love the old farmhouse there too and the garden is great in the summer. Have you tried Summerlee Industrial Museum in Coatbridge? You can go for a ride on a tram and visit an old mine too - and it's free to get in (though you have to pay for the tram) I think they had old trains too.

VintageVicki said...

I love places like that :) Am sure now your NTS members you'll be going loads :)

topchelseagirl said...

I love those old milk bottles. That artwork is so lovely. I'll let you know of a few places to visit for your hols soon.

Lyn said...

that looks like our sort of place to visit, lots of interesting things to do and see. I love the Cat artwork too!
xxx

Peeriemoot said...

Ah lovely :-) - I worked there for eight years! It's very weird seeing somewhere I know like the back of my hand on a blog!

Anonymous said...

Super pictures, what a great place to visit.

Sue said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit, mine would have adored those tractors when they were little!

Mrs. Micawber said...

What fun! The calves look so soft and cute.

I love the cat painting, and the rhubarb forcers which remind me somehow of Peter Rabbit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails