Saturday 10 April 2010

Saturday Morning Bike Ride

Today I'm up early to get away early, but just as I'm about to leave I notice a big bulge and a hole in my back tyre. The tyre is kindly replaced by hubby (he's much more adept at such repairs than I!) and I'm on my way at 8am. The plan is to venture further into Ayrshire today but as I need to be back by midday I don't have too much time to waste.

Off up the big hill at the back of Howwood. I'm pleased that despite it being a fortnight since my last decent cycle and the fact that I have eaten a huge amount of cake in that time, I manage up the hill without too much trouble at all. Spring has finally arrived here today - the day is balmy, blue and beautiful! Ben Lomond can be seen faintly in the background of the above photo.

Past Barcraigs. Daffodils are nodding in the forground, trees are reflected perfectly in the still water.

I do like the gate at this entrance to Barcraigs, here's yet another photo of it!

Barcraigs again.

Lambs! They're still a little too far away for a decent photograph though.

Now heading west towards Beith. I like this little clump of daffodils at the side of the road.

Up and over a landrover track heading south into Ayrshire. At this point the view takes me by surprise. Not only can I see Arran but also the Aisla Craig. Unfortunately they're both just a little too distant to photograph well.

It's a much more open landscape here - much flatter, which for me makes for slightly less interesting cycling. Still a great network of quiet roads to explore though.

More daffodils. Two birds on the telegraphs wires. The mountains of Arran in the far distance.

As this area is new to me I need to check the map often. I'm also very conscious of the time and don't linger for many photos. I basically make my way around some of the unclassified roads heading towards Dalry then veer off towards Kilbirnie where I join the cycle-path and zoom home. I'm back for 11:30 so did have time to spare, never mind, there's always next time.

Moo.

Home for a spot of gardening while hubby is out for his boozy lunch date. It actually gets too hot for me! As the leaves aren't yet out on the trees there's not a shady spot to work in. A & I retire to the deckchairs and eat ice lollies while N finishes his nap. A superior effort at tidying the garden will be made tomorrow morning...

13 comments:

Lyn said...

I too plan to tidy the garden tomorrow.
I always love your bike rides, and today was a good day for one by the look of the sunshine!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Yiota said...

Hi Anne!
When do you think I could drop by for a nice cuppa in your garden? :)
All this open space...
Your bike ride was lovely it seems, with all the sunshine.
xo

VintageVicki said...

Too hot - in Scotland!!!!

Enjoy your garden tidy today - think there will be bloggers all over the country doing the same!

Jennyff said...

Such great weather no wonder you were up and out so early. I might be tempted to linger in your pretty garden though, it looks really interesting.

rockinloubylou said...

Another exciting adventure on the bike. I love reading about it all and the photos make me feel I was actually there, instead of lazing around with the Weekend Guardian!

blueskyscotland said...

Great weekends weather indeed..!
Bob and I were in Fife today and I came back to find out that there had been two ducks in my garden.Mrs. Blue Sky can`t remember what they looked like...just that they went "quack,quack" a lot and rudely interrupted her sunbathing :o)
Alex.

Cathy said...

Hello Ann. You were one of the winners on my blog giveaway last week, so if you let me know which print you prefer, I will get it in the post asap.

Diane said...

The young man moaned that he was too hot!!! Your garden looks really lovley. How far do you cover on your bike rides?

Cathy said...

I remember seeing that Scotland was basking in temps of 20C the other day. We had cold winds and rain down here. I remember visiting the lovely Arran when holidaying in Dumffrieshire over thirty years ago. We cycled around a large part of the island. You live in such a gorgeous part of the world Anne.

Kelly Fletcher said...

Beautiful scenery, what a fantastic way to spend a morning.

Julie said...

What a great way to make the most of the weather last weekend (it sounds as if its all going to hange again soon - I've put away the boys trousers, oops!).

Some of your views are just amazing and I'm very impressed with how long you're out for. You must cover quite some distance.

Your garden looks lovely. Hope you got the chance to get some work done in it. Juliex

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hi Julie
I like your house and where you live! Looks lovely!

Barcraigs looks nice. I must remember that place. I really enjoy cycling along the country lanes. You must be very fit with all that cycling!

Have a lovely weekend

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Lesley said...

Your garden looks fine just the way it is. Beautiful.

I love that you are 'basking' in temps in the 20s, while every night, after the news on the telly, we hang on every word of the weatherman, longing to see if our temps will get down to the 20s and so herald the start of winter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails