Saturday 20 November 2010

Saturday Morning Bike Ride

I've not a lot of time to spare today so I set off on a favourite circular route of about ten miles.

Looking up through the tree branches at the bottom of the hill.

Nearly at the top now. Rather a plod today, but at least I make it. It feels good to be out in the fresh air and countryside. A little bit of Autumn colour remains and it's still a novelty to see the lovely shapes of the bare trees.

Just as I leave the trees the sun comes out, the fields to the north west are lit with its golden glow.



Mist lies in the strath to the south west. In the distance beyond this silhouetted tree can be seen the hill and temple.

Here is a rainbow (very faint!) - it would appear that there may be a pot of gold buried in the distant farmyard. Young calves pause during their breakfast to watch what I'm up to.

The sun has now risen into the bank of clouds so the light has turned rather murky. My favourite knowe of trees can be seen in the distance.

Getting a little closer, I like the three parallel lines of wall and hedges in this photo.

And here it is again, as seen over the gate with the red gate post. This is the first time there have been cows in this field when I've been passing this way.

The bird of prey (top left) was repeatedly diving at the rooks in this tree (a much zoomed in shot of the tree on the left of the mound from the previous photo)

A little further on I see another bird of prey, it had been feeding on a sheep carcasse quite close to the road but retreated to perch on a hedge when I stopped to take a photo.

The neatly trimmed fiery orange beech hedges caught my eye here. As a bonus there is yet another bird of prey, sitting on the telegraph pole in the middle of the beech hedge on the left.

He flew off shortly after. With the help of the RSPB website I would say he's a buzzard (as were probably all the other birds of prey I saw & heard today).

One last view of the copper hedges contrasting with the green fields. Then home. Quick blog update, bit of housework & dinner preparation, then tonight's last night of the show...

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

what a beautiful morning ride...you live in a very lovely place!

Lyn said...

Beautiful....as usual!
love
Lyn
xxx

Marg said...

More beautiful photos, I look forward to these each weekend, thanks.

Lesley said...

Oh, those greens and pinks and mauves in pictures 4 and 5.
I feel so very lucky to be able to ride along vicariously — thank you!

Simone said...

The tree silhouette is stunning.x

silverpebble said...

Oh I love the look of that little hill with trees on top and what an amazing image of that buzzard. Wow

Unknown said...

I look forward to your rides every week. Wow, ten miles, that's quite a distance.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails